Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Crock Pot Meals-Jambalaya

So no I'm not starting a foodie blog...yet. But here's the most recent crock pot recipe that I've tried. This one is for Jambalaya which is something I really like whenever I buy it in a restaurant but I've never made it myself.










The recipe I used was from Women's Health from way back and its a healthy version so do what you want. You can switch up the brown rice from white, turkey sausage for pork, you know the deal.





Makes 6 Servings. Cook time approximately 8-9 hours (on low)

large onion, peeled and diced (yes, these will make you cry)
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 medium size sweet red peppers
1 can (15 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 C long grain brown rice
1 package of spicy italian turkey or chicken sausage
1 tsp hot sauce
2 tbsp fresh thyme, minced (or 2 tsp dried)
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 C water
3 tbsp fresh parsley, minced (I didn't use any)
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (aka skinless and the tails are off)

Directions
  1. Place onion, garlic, celery, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, rice, and sausage in the crockpot in that order.
  2. Add hot sauce, thyme, salt, pepper, and water.
  3. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.
  4. One hour before it's finished cooking, toss in parsley and shrimp. Stir until well combined, adding more water if needed.




Overall it was not too bad. I was at work for the whole day and may have left it on too long. I'm not a chef here. The taste was good anyways and I ended up with a bunch of leftovers.
I would definitely suggest trying this one out, it's got a nice kick to it (you can add more hot sauce or red pepper flakes if you want).

Also if you didn't see my previous crock pot post check out Crock Pot Meals-Mac and Cheese

0 comments:

Post a Comment